5 Great Supplements for Men
We all know the best way to get many of the nutrients your body needs is to choose the right foods for your diet. However, it is sometimes necessary to give your body a boost with supplements. This is true for both men and women, especially as we age. Some supplements have benefits just for a man’s needs, and the good news is, many of these supplements can be taken in pill form or can be added to your diet by eating specific foods. The health benefits you receive from taking these five supplements can provide anti-aging benefits, boost your virility and protect you from disease.
1. Saw Palmetto to help an enlarged prostate. As men age, prostate health can become a frustrating issue. In a Korean study, men taking 320mg per day of saw palmetto saw a decrease in their symptoms of 50% over the course of a year. Now that’s relief!
2. Resveratrol for anti-aging. This beneficial substance that comes from the skin of grapes and can be found in red wine and red grape juice has anti-aging properties, and has also been shown to stop the growth of both colon and prostate cancer cells.
3. SAMe for depression. Depression knows no bounds and can affect both men and women, old and young. SAMe, a synthetic form of a dietary amino acid, has been shown to treat depression as well as prescription antidepressants.
4. Lycopene for prostate cancer. This is a potent antioxidant found in tomatoes, and is thought to reduce men’s risk for prostate cancer by causing cancer cells to self destruct. It’s the comic book superhero of beneficial supplements, and best of all, it’s easy get by having a diet rich in cooked tomato dishes.
5. Korean Ginseng for erectile dysfunction. Studies show that 60% of men who took Korean Red Panax Ginseng noticed an improvement in their erectile dysfunction symptoms! Plus, ginseng has been shown to have heart healthy benefits as well, making it doubly important.
The five supplements mentioned above are a great way to start protecting yourself from common ailments specific to men. However, they are just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak, as there are many more supplements with important benefits just for men, including fish oil to prevent against heart disease, Vitamin C for wound healing and cell repair, and Quercetin for a workout boost. As always, research your chosen supplements carefully and make sure you discuss supplement use with your doctor, especially if you are on any medications.