Five Foods That Protect Your Skin From the Sun
The best way to keep your skin youthful and sun-damage free is by wearing sunscreen every day and drinking plenty of fluids. However, in order to boost your skin’s own sun-prevention power and keep your skin looking healthy from the inside out, you can add certain foods to your diet. How do certain foods help keep your skin safe from sun damage? The antioxidants contained in the following foods combat free radicals, which do damage to healthy skin cells. Here are five foods with skin protective benefits.
- Salmon. This heart-healthy fish is also a skin protectant due to its anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids. Lower inflammation means lower risk for cancer. Also, research shows that omega-3’s help protect cells from free radical damage that can be caused by excessive sun exposure.
- Almonds. These good-for-you nuts have a bonus benefit: they contain biotin, which is a skin protectant B-vitamin. They also contain vitamin E, which is known to help the skin cells protect themselves from sun damage.
- Broccoli. Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli contain antioxidants that combat free radicals. Broccoli is also shown to have cancer fighting benefits for the skin and other organs. The broccoli sprout, a member of the broccoli family, contains sulforaphane, which is thought to increase the skin’s ability to protect itself from cancer.
- Berries (of the blue and purple variety). Blueberries and blackberries, along with acai berries, cranberries, black currants and elderberries are all rich in anthocyanins. These protective compounds provide SPF protection and also help prevent many diseases.
- Red, yellow and orange peppers. These good-for-you summer peppers are delicious, but that’s not all they have going for them. These peppers get their bright colors from carotenoids, an antioxidant that takes vitamin A in the body and helps turn it into a skin cell protectant that prevents the destruction of the fat layer that surrounds skin cells.
While sunscreen is always your best bet when it comes to protecting yourself from skin-damaging rays, you can help give your body a skin protecting boost with the five foods listed above. These are not the only foods that offer powerful benefits when it comes to your skin, either. Other delicious eats that masquerade as skin superheroes include tomatoes, green tea, cocoa, quinoa, and dark, leafy greens. So slather on that SPF for protection on the outside, while grabbing from this list of foods for protection and repair from the inside!